Leesburg, VA (May 8, 2012)
– Several streets in Leesburg will be resurfaced during the week of May 21, 2012. Part of the Town’s regular streets maintenance program, milling and paving is a surface replacement process that eliminates existing pot holes and creates a smooth new road surface. Milling and paving extends the life of the Town’s streets and is done on any particular street about once every ten to fifteen years.
The road surface replacement process takes place in two steps. First, the top 1 to 1½ inches of asphalt is milled or ground off the street. Then, a new overlay of hot-mix asphalt is applied to the street, creating the new pavement surface. Typically, milling will be done on one day and paving will be done on the next day. During milling and paving operations, crews will close one lane of the street at a time, so motorists should expect delays. In addition, no on-street parking will be allowed during the scheduled milling and paving operations.
The schedule below is subject to inclement weather delays. Milling and paving must be done under dry conditions.
The following road segments are scheduled for daytime milling and paving work, and are highlighted on the map at right:
A. West Market Street, from Liberty Street to
• Milling: Monday, May 21, 9 am to 3 pm
• Paving: Tuesday, May 22, 9 am to 3 pm
B. Tuscarora Drive, entire street
• Milling: Monday, May 21, 12 pm to 5 pm
• Paving: Tuesday, May 22, 7 am to 12 pm
C. West Market Street, from Fairview Street/
Catoctin Circle to western corporate limits
• Milling: Tuesday, May 22, 9 am to 3 pm
• Paving: Wednesday, May 23, 9 am to 3 pm
Any changes to the above schedule will be advertised via notices to the Town’s website, message boards and/or flyer handouts delivered to residents’ homes. For more information, please contact the Leesburg Public Works Department at 703-771-2782.